Friday, November 13, 2009

Sausage Meatballs

I have been on a bit of a sausage binge lately. As usual, it's been inspired by buying a bushel of something from Costco. This time it came in the form of breakfast sausages. I've been using them for their intended breakfast purpose, but also cooked & sliced for pasta, and several times recently, in the form of meatballs.

A couple of weeks ago I made some potato leek soup with sausage & bacon meatballs. And then a couple of nights ago, I put them into sweet red pepper sauce over pasta. I don't know what it is about them. Maybe they are richer in flavor? Maybe it's how moist they stay? Maybe it's... Oh, I don't know, but sausage meatballs are where it's at!!!

Somehow, I've been ending up with about 16 medium sized meatballs, by winging it with some basic resemblance of the following:

  • Throw about a 1/4 of an onion, a couple cloves of garlic, half a carrot, and some sweet bell pepper into the food processor and give them a whirl.
  • Then squeeze 6-8 sausages out of their skins (yuck, I know - just do it) & add to processor with a handful of bread crumbs, 1 egg, a handful of fresh parsley, some salt, pepper & paprika and combine.
  • Roll into balls and put onto a cookie sheet and bake at 375. The whole baking them thing is a new one for me, I usually do them in a saucepan, but have recently had some scrambled sausages, some burned sausages and have discovered that doing them in the oven is perhaps a little gentler because you don't have to roll them around. Either way...
  • Then throw them into a pasta sauce, soup, over rice, or as a pupu (that's 'appetizer' to you & me) and see if you don't love 'em even more than their bovine cousins!

Let me know what you come up with and where YOUR meatballs end up!



2 comments:

  1. Hello, H!

    I love your blog. The recipes are wonderful as is the photography.

    I love eating meatballs or sausage with pasta. I make my own meatballs from a recipe we've been using in our Italian-American family for more than one hundred years. Depending upon my mood, I'll make them the size of a golf ball or as big as a tennis ball!

    Absolutely will try the Poached Pears and Walnuts recipe. Do you ever poach pears in coffee? Fantastic combination.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Denise,
    Thanks for your post! I have never heard of the coffee trick! ?? Sounds truly whacky. And fascinating.
    Thanks for sharing!
    H

    ReplyDelete