Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Moroccan Chicken Stew over Polenta

I might have to add this one to my list of comfort foods. It's warm, it's spicy & it's creamy. I have made it with quinoa, couscous, and this time, polenta, and this was by far my favorite. Speaking of polenta, I might have to add THIS to my "oh-yeah" list. It's been years since I've made it, and now I remember how much I love it! Another cool thing about this is that it's actually really simple and you should be able to make it with what's already in your pantry, freezer & spice rack (once you pick up some polenta)! Oh yeah, and you need to tap into your stock of Harissa, which I'm sure you have in the fridge. (See the September Harissa post for recipe). And by the way, I just thought of this: I bet this would be a great use for leftover Thanksgiving turkey!

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED:
* ok wait, just a reminder that I cook based on what I happen to have available (improv cooking), so just go with what you have. I don't ever measure unless I'm baking, but I'm giving you some rough measurements just so you get the gist of it. If you don't have enough chicken etc.., just adjust and wing it! It's gonna be great no matter what.

  • Alright, first saute about a 1/2 C. onion & a couple of cloves of garlic in some olive oil.
  • Meanwhile, rinse some (a pound or two) bone-in chicken & season with salt & pepper. Add to onions & garlic and brown a bit. Add 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. paprika, and a scoop of harissa. How big of a scoop is up to you, depending on wether you want it to make you sweat or just give it a little kick.
  • Add a can of crushed tomatoes (or tomato sauce, or fresh tomatoes, whatever..), a Tbs. tomato paste, a teaspoon of sugar and one cinnamon stick. The cinnamon stick is what gives it that moroccan flavor, don't even think of omitting it!
  • Simmer for about an hour, if you can wait that long. While it's cooking prepare your polenta according to the package. Make sure to add some butter and half & half, or something sinister too! Then fish out the chicken & allow to cool a little, then remove from the bone and shred or cut into smaller chunks and add meat back to the pot.
  • Serve over a scoop of polenta, and throw some fresh chopped parsley over the whole thing. So good!!







2 comments:

  1. I would so love this! I agree with you about how wonderful polenta is, and doesn't it go well with all sorts of stews. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'm glad to have rediscovered it! You should definitely make this one sometime! Thanks for you comment!
    H

    ReplyDelete