Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hot, Creamy Comfort in a Bowl

Speaking of comfort food (as we were a few months ago), oatmeal is one of those things that always works to bring a little coziness to the stomach. I live in Hawaii, so it's not quite the same as when I was a kid and my mom would make me a bowl of hot oatmeal before I trudged through the snow to catch the school bus, but still.

And right off the bat, I must say, I'm not talking about that weird stuff that comes out of a little packet with options like peaches & cream and such. I'm talking about old fashioned oats. Cooked on the stove, not in the microwave. I am a fan of steel cut oats, myself.

I think the comfort part comes from a big blob of melting butter with brown sugar and cinnamon and just a touch of milk, or better yet cream! It's a perfect thing in my book.

2 comments:

  1. O This is a comfort food for me too, all through Winter especially! But for me it is the oats themselves that are so comforting!
    I will put a link to this lovely post on my fb comfort food page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks joy! I am a follower on your facebook page. Cheers to comfort foods!
    H

    ReplyDelete