Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Corn & Potato Chowder & Cheddar Onion Biscuits

This was a killer lunch. But I'm not in the mood to give you a blow by blow recipe. Is that wrong? It happens to be that particular week of the month where I suddenly have chronic fatigue, I eat like a wild animal, & I have noise allergies. Too much information, I know... Anyway, I'm just not in the mood. But you need to try it. So I'll give you a quickie:

Throw some chopped onions & garlic in a pot.
Chop up a few slices of bacon & cook in a separate small pan. Drain off fat and set aside.
Peel & chop a biggish potato, put it in a bowl with some water & cook in microwave till mostly cooked, then add to onions & garlic.
Pour in a cup or so of chicken stock & cook until potatoes are tender. Then add 2 cups of milk, a cup or so of cooked corn, salt & pepper.
Let this cook for a few and then scoop about half into a blender and puree. Pour back into pot & add the bacon, some chopped parsley & some parmesan cheese.

For the biscuits:
Combine
1 1/2 C flour
1 C. Cornmeal
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt (I used part salt/part garlic salt)
2 tsp. sugar
Cut in a stick of butter
Add 1 Cup + 1 Tbs. buttermilk (Whoever has buttermilk, I know?! Just add some vinegar to milk till its thick)
Stir in some grated cheddar & chopped onion.
Spoon onto baking sheet & bake @ 375 for 20 minutes.

Ok, there you have it. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. So this is your idea of "not giving a blow by blow recipe?" Looks pretty complete to me :D And if you make lunches this awesome, how do you not weigh 300 lbs??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! I know, it was more details than I was in the mood for, but baking is just that way. Luckily, I feed a lot of people, so they eat my extra portions!

    ReplyDelete