Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Introducing Mr. Edmeades

Alright, as you can see my wine pick is lacking two of my usual qualities: The catchy name and the snazzy label. It DOES have the most important quality, however. It's great!

If you share with me a love of big, flavorful reds, you will appreciate Mr. Edmeades. This is my go-to wine when I go to my favorite wine bar, Du Vin in downtown Honolulu, which boasts a gigantic, overwhelming wine list. As long as Edmeades is on the list, I don't have to worry.

Edmeades is a zinfandel from Mendocino, CA. It is a fairly young winery, with the first grapes planted in 1963. Last year Food & Wine Magazine put Edmeades 2006 zinfandel on the "Best wines under $20" list.
Another great thing about this is my discovery of it on the shelves at Costco!

I must admit, while at a wine tasting last week, I was perusing a shelf and saw a bottle of my man. I almost choked when I read the back and saw the description of it's flavors as blah blah blah, with "dollops of smoke"!! If you read the "Mollydooker" article in September, you know how I feel about these silly adjectives. Forget about the smoke dollops, and just believe me when I say, It's big, smooth, and has a great flavor. Give it a try!

Quote of the day: "I like to think about what was going on the year the grapes were growing; how the sun was shining; if it rained. I like to think about all the people who tended and picked the grapes. And if it's an old wine, how many of them must be dead by now. I like how wine continues to evolve, like if I opened a bottle of wine today it would taste different than if I'd opened it on any other day, because a bottle of wine is actually alive. And it's constantly evolving and gaining complexity."
~ Maya, from the movie "Sideways"


No comments:

Post a Comment