Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Roasted Garlic

Ahhh... glorious roasted garlic. Is there anything else who's whole flavor is so radically transformed by spending some quality time in the oven? I think not.

I first tasted roasted garlic at a little catered birthday party for my sister when I was about 20 & just realizing how much I loved food. I was in disbelief that this creamy, savory, and almost sweet brown stuff on my bread was the siamese twin of the hot, smelly (in a good way) little raw cloves.

All these years later, I have developed a real appreciation, dare I say, love for roasted garlic. I buy garlic in the big bag from Costco and use it in almost everything I cook. I've been told I go to bed with my hands smelling like garlic, even after doing the dishes & taking a shower. Good thing I'm not dating a vampire!

When I have plenty of heads of garlic laying around, I try to throw couple in the oven whenever it's on & then keep it on hand to sneak it into whatever's on the menu.

If you haven't been practicing this move, you really, really need it! It couldn't be simpler. Just lop off the top of a couple of heads of garlic, pour on a little olive oil and some salt & pepper. Wrap the whole thing in some tinfoil and toss it in the oven. Leave it there until the smell starts making you're brain want to be slathered in it. You can tell it's ready when the cloves start to pop out.

Spread some on some french bread with a slice of brie. Throw some whole cloves in your next pasta sauce, chicken dish, or just about anything you have simmering on the stove. And PLEASE, let me know what you come up with!

Quote of the day:
"What garlic is to food, insanity is to art."
~Agustus Saint-Gaudens

No comments:

Post a Comment