Saturday, September 19, 2009

Mollydooker

Alright, for my first real two cents in the wine department, I've gotta talk Mollydooker. This is a great Australian winery and the Aussies have been making me crazy with their big, giant reds. Plus, they have an obvious edge with their quirky names and labels. I recently discovered that Mollydooker means a "left hander" to those down under.

The first Mollydooker wine I tried was The Boxer. This wine was recently rated wine of the week by Wine Spectator Magazine. This bottle will cost you about $25 clams, which is about as much as I want to spend on a bottle of wine, which makes it not my everyday wine, but a bit of a splurge. But it's so worth it.

By the way, I don't ever taste those things that it says on the label or in magazines, like "lightly floral, minerally, apple-inflected, stony, lemony, nutty, lime scented, peachy, herb-scented" - all adjectives used in September's Food & Wine.

Or how about Saveur using such descriptions as: "lanolin, honey, salted nuts, chalk, wax, or white flowers", on the nose - meaning this is what the wine gurus SMELL. Chalk?? What the? Or how about something "sweet and unctuous", "waxy white fruit in the mouth", "oily with tart stone-fruit flavors", "an intriguing green pea note", "an austerity that borders on the severe". ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!! I don't know what these mean! But for real, these were all in the "Tasting Notes" on one page in an old issue of Saveur. This makes me crazy! Do you see why I go for the good label?

So back to The Boxer. Does it have a good label? Check. And then for MY buzz words: Big, flavorful, good. I don't want to be drinking anything that tastes or smells like green peas, lanolin, or God forbid CHALK. I want the wine maker to have a sense of humor, to be an artist and to make killer wine. That's all I need to know. And I can tell two of those three things just by looking at the label.

Mollydooker makes several bottles in the $25 range like Blue Eyed Boy, and Two Left Feet. But let me just say, that if you ever happen upon a bottle of Carnival of Love, and have an extra 90 bucks in your pocket, please, please buy this wine. It's amazing. They also have a $25 bottle called Sip it Forward, which the proceeds from this wine support and educate children in Cambodia. That is pretty cool.

You can find out a lot more about these guys at www.mollydookerwines.com. Plus, check out their tip on shaking the wine to release it's flavor. Who Knew??

Quote of the Day:
"Wine is bottled poetry".
~Robert Louis Stevenson

2 comments:

  1. I love you and I love the blog. I'm a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank you "Anonymous" Love you too!!

    ReplyDelete