Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Whacky Lemon Rosemary Cocktail




Here's a strange, but fun beverage I just came across in a food magazine, (I think). Of course I was just trying to find it and it vanished. I messed with the recipe a little anyway. Speaking of, You know I'm all for what I call "Improv Cooking", but I sent this recipe to my sister and instead of making the syrup, she just put sugar and lemon juice in the glass, then she didn't have any fizzy water, so she used regular water, poured in the vodka and maybe garnished it with some rosemary. NOT THE SAME!!! In fact it was undrinkable.

So the key is making the syrup in advance and letting it cool. So make it at some weird time when you're hangin' in the kitchen, or when you're making your coffee or whatever, then it will be ready to roll when it's cocktail time.

Alright, so it calls for 1/2 C. fresh lemon juice (but speaking of ingredients, I had one of those gigantic bottles of lemon juice from Costco that come in a 2-pack - I inherited one from my mom. BUT I used part lemon juice and part fresh squeezed O.J. from my weird orange tree. It worked!)
Anyway, put 1/2 C. citrus juice of some sort and 1/2 C. water in a small pan.
Add 1/2 C. Sugar. (Sounds like a lot but relax, you only use a little per beverage!)
And 2 Rosemary sprigs. (6-8in.)
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and let cook for about 5ish minutes.
Remove from heat, discard rosemary and let cool. You can pour it into a little jar and keep in fridge.
Fill a cocktail glass with ice, pour in abt a Tablespoon (or whatever) of the syrup
Add one shot of vodka (of course, this isn't a strict measurement!)
And top with some sort of fizzy water.
Pour into a cocktail shaker. If you're only making one, you can shake it, but beware of fizzy water explosions. You can also just pour back and forth from glass to shaker.
Garnish with a fresh rosemary sprig if you want to impress somebody, other wise just sip & enjoy! The rosemary sounds a little weird, I know. But it gives it a fresh herb-y taste. You're gonna love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment